- Exceptional opportunity to join one of Australia’s leading Non-for-Profits, Oxfam Australia as Climate Justice Strategic Lead
- 9 months, Full-time, 35 hours per week
- Melbourne based
At Oxfam Australia, we believe all lives are equal and no-one should live in poverty. We are a member of Oxfam International, a global confederation working with partners and local communities in 87 countries.
Would you like to join this global movement of people working together to eliminate the inequalities that keep people in poverty?
Why you will love working at Oxfam
As part of Program Development and Effectiveness team, you will use your skills, qualifications, lived experience and initiative to tackle inequality and flight poverty. Yes, you read that right, lived experience and initiative, because it is not all about key selection criteria.
Research shows that women will only apply for a job if they meet 100% of the selection criteria, while men will apply if they meet an average of 60%. We understand that life teaches us so much, so if you don’t meet all the criteria but just know that you have what it takes, then please apply.
Oxfam Australia is part of the global Oxfam Confederation. We work locally with people, communities and program partners in more than 70 countries to flight inequality to end poverty and injustice.
Oxfam Australia has over a decade of experience working on climate change, with a particular focus on the impacts of climate crisis on poor and vulnerable communities around the world. It is committed to addressing climate crisis through its work, and does this though global and national climate change advocacy and campaigns and climate change programming.
Oxfam’s strategic framework 2020-2025 sets our aspirations to advocate to end climate crisis and help communities most vulnerable to climate impact to mitigate risk, build resilience and call for action of climate change.
As the Climate Justice Lead, you will work closely with program and advocacy partners, peers and allies, as well as across the Oxfam Confederation, to lead Oxfam Australia’s work on climate justice. You are responsible for overseeing the development, monitoring and measurement of agency-wide climate justice strategies.
You will work directly with Australian based staff and Oxfam county offices, particularly those in the Asia/Pacific Region, to broker technical and advisory support related climate change and resilient development. You will also facilitate the planning and delivery of effective climate justice advocacy and campaign project strategies.
You will engage in a range of organisational processes, including strategic planning, policy development, technical support to programs, organisational learning, external engagement, fundraising and resource growth.
Desired Skills and Experience
A little about you (the key selection criteria)
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Expertise on climate justice and current sector trends – lived experience and/or relevant qualifications and technical experience in climate justice policy, programs and advocacy.
- Ability to broker and facilitate partnerships and collaboration with diverse stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Experience in program and strategy development, monitoring and evaluation.
- Proven leader with ability to represent the organisation in media and public events.
We can offer you
- A base salary of $108,844 plus superannuation, superior leave benefits and access to generous non-for-profit salary packaging program (up to $18,450 of your salary tax-free).
- The opportunity to use your talents and expertise to make a positive impact around the world.
- We value flexibility and seek to support our people to work in ways that meet their work/life commitments and support their wellbeing.
- Cultural leave
- Superannuation matching
Our culture is shaped by our values, which reinforce what we care about and how we do things, not just what we do. Our five core values of Accountability, Empowerment, Equality, Inclusiveness and Sustainability drive everything we do at Oxfam.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. Therefore, our people are required to comply with the One Oxfam Child Safeguarding and Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policies and sign the Oxfam Australia Child Safeguarding and One Oxfam Employee Codes of Conduct.
How to Apply
Complete the online application form, then, as three separate documents, upload:
- a cover letter that tells us why you want to join Oxfam Australia, and how your professional history and lived experience makes you the right candidate.
- your CV.
- your response to the selection criteria outlined in the advertisement.
- Applications close on 4th January 2024.
- Here is the link to the Position Description
Our people are at the heart of everything we do. We care deeply about creating a safe and inclusive workplace where our people feel valued, respected and impowered. We are committed to providing equal opportunities and encourage applicants with personal experience of the forms of injustice we seek to address to apply for opportunities at Oxfam Australia.
Applicants will be required to show proof of their right to work in Australia with the subject to satisfactory clearance of a Police Records Check, and Counter Terrorism and Aid Diversion Check.
We give priority to protecting the health, safety and wellbeing of our people, supporters, and the communities we work with. If successful you may be required to provide evidence of your COVID-19 vaccination or approved medical contraindication prior to commencing employment with Oxfam Australia.