Project: Roads for Development Phase 2 (R4D2)
Duration: Short Term until June 30, 2024 – Up to 60 days input
ARF Level: C3
Location: Remote working with potential travel to Vanuatu
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
The Vanuatu Roads for Development Program Phase 2 (R4D2) is a 5-year (2019-2024) transport infrastructure support program funded by the Government of Australia (GoA) through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the Public Works Department (PWD) under the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU). R4D2 is focused on improving and maintaining national road access for rural and urban populations. Adam Smith International (ASI) is the managing contractor for this program.
The objective of this assignment is to support PWD in the development of the procurement process and provide technical assistance and guidance to support the procurement process and administration of contracts. The selected Consultant is expected to play a key PWD institutional capacity building role by demonstrating a high level of expertise and professional integrity at all times.
The responsibilities of the Contracts and Procurement Adviser will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
PWD Capacity Support
The Adviser shall work closely with their PWD counterparts and provide support with the following activities:
1. Ensure timely preparation/updating of and submissions of the PWD Procurement Plan for review and approval of the MFEM.
2. Review and provide technical inputs to tender documentation, invitations to tender, tender notices and procurement plans.
3. Ensure procurements processed by PWD apply relevant donor and Government of Vanuatu (GoV) requirements for safeguarding principles including Health and Safety, Environmental Management, Child Protection, Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion.
4. Review and provide technical inputs on PWD submissions to the Central Tenders Board.
5. Provide advice and technical inputs during tender evaluations with a focus on ensuring timely delivery of detailed Bid Evaluation Reports (BER) for R4D2 funded High Impact Projects.
6. Review and provide technical inputs on program submissions to DFAT.
7. Provide guidance and advice in contract negotiations for goods, works and consultancies.
8. Review and provide technical input for the preparation of tender documents, invitations to tender, tender notices and any other documents based on relevant procedures and regulations.
PWD Institutional Capacity Building
1. Prepare and deliver Procurement and Contract Administration Training for PWD counterparts.
2. Provide capacity development and training to further develop the contracting industry within Vanuatu.
3. Mentor PWD counterparts by sharing and transferring knowledge in procurement and contracts administration.
4. Prepare guidelines and related document templates aimed at strengthening the quality and effectiveness of pre-tender meetings, tender evaluation meetings, pre-mobilisation meetings and contractor performance evaluations.
5. Develop guidelines and related document templates for multi-year road maintenance contracts.
PWD Procurement Quality Assurance and Oversight
1. Ensure compliance with R4D2 Program and PWD Codes of Conduct and fraud detection and management procedures.
2. Report suspected potential or identified fraud and corruption or governance issues.
3. Other duties as assigned by the Senior Engineering Adviser and/or the Team Leader.
• Main Counterparts – PWD Procurement Manager
• Secondary Counterparts – PWD Operations Manager and Procurement Officers
• Reports to, works with, and receives strategic direction and periodic performance feedback from the Senior Engineering Adviser; and
• Reports to the Australian High Commission Team when necessary and in coordination with the Team Leader.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Relevant qualifications in procurement or other related field, ideally with a focus on engineering, transport infrastructure or roads
• Demonstrated experience in conducting public and private sector procurement activities;
• Demonstrated experience supporting procurement on infrastructure roads programs, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
• Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
• Demonstrated experience in developing the procurement capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar setting;
• Demonstrated commitment and capacity to undertake activities in a participative, culturally sensitive and consultative manner that enables counterparts to actively participate and develop an understanding and sense of ownership;
• Understanding of and commitment to DFAT safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion; and
• Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication, and relationship management skills.
The Contracts and Procurement Adviser will work closely with the PWD procurement unit (counterparts) and with other R4D2 staff including other PWD units to prepare and execute the annual workplans and major projects.
There are multiple major projects being funded through R4D2, which require tendering, award and completion prior to the end of the program. The Adviser will need to provide oversight, guidance and technical inputs during all stages of the procurement process including the Tender Evaluations stage. The Adviser’s role is key to the delivery of these R4D2/PWD planned activities and the position requires a dedicated and committed Adviser to ensure compliance and on time delivery.
Please submit your application with the subject ‘Contracts and Procurement Advisor R4D2’ to [email protected]
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria and an up-to-date CV.
Adam Smith International is an equal opportunity employer – women and candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as well as Ni-van, are encouraged to apply.