The organisation is the global leader in supporting governments to protect vulnerable people from violence. The team of 1,200+ professionals are at work in 33 countries across the Asia Pacific, Africa, Europe and the Americas. Together with government, corporate, civil society, community and survivor leader partners, they are catalysing a global movement that will rescue millions, protect half a billion and make justice for people in poverty unstoppable.
The Australian office of this organisation, established in 2014, partners with the Global organisation to deliver justice programs overseas and grow the movement of Australians seeking justice for the oppressed.
The Organisation’s Values
The organisation’s values are Christian, Professional and Bridge Building. Their Christian value manifests not only in their motivation but in their culture and work environment, including daily devotions, stillness and prayer.
At its core, the Policy and Campaign Lead’s role is to leverage IJM Australia’s power to influence and inspire decision-makers in Australia to better protect those in poverty around the world from violence, particularly in the areas of the Online Sexual Exploitation of Children and Forced Labour. The Policy & Campaigns Lead will increase public awareness and support, mobilise the public to be agents of change, and influence key decision makers. This position lies with the Advocacy team, reporting to the Chief Advocacy Officer.
The Lead will be responsible to:
• Formulate and communicate policy by assisting in writing briefings and policy submissions, statements, letters and speaking notes on themes related to IJM casework.
• Strategize, develop and coordinate effective campaigns and strengthen IJM Australia’s profile
• Liaise with IJM Australia stakeholders and IJM Global & program offices to develop and implement campaigns
• Develop and implement a media strategy, in coordination with our external consultants, to develop IJM Australia’s profile, acting as media spokesperson when required.
• Build and maintain strategic relationships with key organisations, allies, stakeholders and influencers to advance campaign objectives.
• Represent the organisation in a range of external networks and events, including engaging with key decision makers to build support for our strategic goals and influence policy and practice.
• Be a positive contributor to building a healthy and professional culture in the IJM Australia team
Skills, Experience and Attributes
To be successful in this position you will have:
• Tertiary qualifications in relevant field including politics, law, economics, communications, journalism, public relations, development or theology.
• Demonstrated experience in policy development, influence and advocacy campaigning, media engagement and public campaign and communication strategy development.
• Sound understanding of the Australian political system and policy, ideally relating to law and justice.
• Significant experience of strategic policy and/or campaigning work designed to achieve change, including the use of a range of influencing and campaigning techniques, and how to use them to good effect.
• Demonstrated ability to understand, think analytically and strategically synthesise complex policy and legal issues.
• Ability to make independent decisions and solve problems on complex issues, requiring creative and systems thinking to find best solutions.
• Excellent writing skills and the ability to distil and effectively communicate complex information to a range of audiences.
• Excellent influencing and networking skills, with ability to advocate with senior decision makers.
• Ability to creatively engage the public on issues of global justice and to work effectively with the media.
What we offer:
• An inspiring work environment. Your work makes a difference in the lives of the thousands of clients the organisation is serving. You are part of a passionate global team of professionals – characterised by an atmosphere of personal involvement and determination to bring justice, transform communities and end slavery
• Opportunity to professionally develop your skills & attributes
• Opportunity for spiritual formation
• Salary is determined by our remuneration policy and years of qualified experiences. This organisation has salary packaging available for all employees.
Please attach your CV and a one-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the position including your demonstrated commitment to the organisation’s values as detailed above as part of your application.
Apply here: https://jobs.swagapp.com/jobs/organisations/6ca6bd70-c733-44ea-85d1-149fc55824e0
Application deadline is EOB Friday 14th July 2023.