- Fully remote role (from anywhere in the Asia Pacific timezone only)
- 12 months fixed term contract with the possibility of extension
In a nutshell
Catalpa International is a global development organisation designing new, creative ways of tackling complex problems. We integrate international development practice, design thinking, and adaptive management with the potential of technology to drive change. Our work is driven by a commitment to advance human development and improve the lives of vulnerable communities. Check us out at www.catalpa.io
Catalpa has an opportunity for seasoned Communications Lead to oversee external communications, marketing, and brand positioning for Catalpa and to support the delivery of Catalpa’s strategic plan.
About the role
Reporting to our Partnerships & Growth Manager, the Communications Lead will build on Catalpa’s communication initiatives to date. The Communications Lead collaborates across our areas of impact (sectors) and portfolio of tech products to demonstrate impact and our unique approach to international development initiatives. A major priority is to tell the story of our work, especially our impacts and outcomes, grounded in our quality program implementation.
This is a role for an experienced and strategic thinker, someone with excellent communications know-how who is willing to roll up their sleeves to get things done. Having a strong background in communications and marketing, you will be confident with using human centred design and Agile methodologies to achieve great outcomes.
Key roles and responsibilities for this role are:
- Develop, build on and execute Catalpa’s communication strategies and key messages across all channels
- Lead key communication aspects of the website, working with Catalpa’s UX, design and engineering team members
- Work closely with our Head of Products to define new products, produce communication materials, and develop and execute marketing and communication strategies
- Manage key communication channels including our newsletter, social media, website, photos, videos, blogs, business development and other media as appropriate, accessing content from our program implementation.
- Develop engaging multimedia content for our owned channels. Pursue new channels, ideas for campaigns, content or strategy as appropriate and opportunities arise
- Work with graphic designers and external consultants to maintain our visual brand and produce new materials
- Work closely with the Growth Manager and Business Development team to support growth activities
- Promote knowledge and understanding of digitally-enabled development, human-centred design and adaptive management to our key audiences
- Seek out ways to use innovation and creative approaches to improve what we do and how we communicate
- Lead the development of advocacy pieces that support Catalpa initiatives
- Provide internal communications advice and support to the People & Culture Manager as needed
- A detailed Terms of Reference can be found here.
For this critical role, we are seeking a seasoned Communications Lead with experience in the international development sector in the Asia Pacific region. The successful candidate for this role will be able to think and work strategically, but also be willing to roll up their sleeves and get things done – this is definitely a job where you will need to do both. Ideally you’d have this kind of background and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in international development, communication, journalism, or another relevant area – or, an intriguing reason for not having one
- Substantial experience in communications and marketing with specific experience in leading the development and implementation of communication strategies in a rapidly changing environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with tools to develop communication, design and storytelling content – such as email marketing software, web CMS, social media tools.
- The ability to turn complex issues and information into simple, compelling stories with the power to shape ideas and opinions. You have passion and drive to create positive change and a strong desire to use your capability to shape a better world.
- You are known for your ability to develop and foster positive stakeholder relationships with ease and apply a proactive approach while working with others in the organisation. But you’re also comfortable working autonomously and pursuing your own ideas.
- Comfortable working within a collaborative, dynamic and diverse environment
- You have professional experience in the international development, NGO or community development sector. You have a good understanding of how global development and innovative technologies interact, or a demonstrated desire to learn more
- Familiarity with the agile process and/or human-centred design (desirable, but not essential)
We love working with smart people from diverse backgrounds who are willing to learn new things. There are many skills we think this job will make use of, but we encourage you to apply even if you think you may not be a ‘perfect fit’.
We work in a creative, supportive environment with colleagues who come from diverse walks of life, and we value the perspectives they bring. We pay attention to the details, and we work together to achieve the best we can. Importantly, we work here because we love what we do and the impact we can have.
We know people’s lives include many obligations outside of work, so we aim to create a flexible work environment that includes remote work options, generous family leave, and return-to-work policies to support new parents. We know we do our best work when we take care of ourselves and communities. We take two weeks off at the end of each year to recharge and refresh.
Catalpa staff believe in the potential of technology to transform lives for the better. Our team members are flexible and can handle working across a broad range of responsibilities. They don’t mind rolling up their sleeves to solve thorny challenges that take time, patience, and creativity. We are friendly and care about the people with whom we work, always seeking to build and nurture relationships for the long-term.
Catalpa seeks to provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all people, regardless of race, colour, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or marital status. We especially welcome applications from people with diverse backgrounds.
Catalpa prioritises the safeguarding of all people, including the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and the safeguarding of children. Engagement of personnel with Catalpa is conditional upon the outcome of background checks, and there is a requirement for all candidates to disclose any current charges or previous convictions regarding assault, abuse or exploitation of children or adults, as well as regarding fraud and/or corruption. All Catalpa personnel are required to abide by Catalpa’s Child Safeguarding Policy, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy and Code of Conduct.
How to Apply
If this sounds interesting and you see yourself doing great work with us, we’d love to hear from you. Please send a cover letter and tell us why you think you’d be a good fit for this role. Applications are to be submitted through our jobs page catalpa.io/work-with-us
For further inquiries or questions regarding this position, send an email to [email protected] with ‘role’ in the subject line of the email, please do not email CV’s as we require them to go through our website, thanks.
Please submit your application by 1 December 2023.
- Fully remote role from anywhere in the Asia Pacific region
- Work with a team who are passionate about using technology, human centred design and agile processes to make a real difference in the world
- Opportunity to progress your career with a growing NFP
- Supportive team environment and generous benefits