- Work with a team dedicated to supporting women around the globe to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice
- Flexible working environment, based in Melbourne or Canberra
- Fixed term, Part time (2 years)
CARE Australia works to defeat global poverty by supporting women to create lasting change in their communities around the world.
About the Role
The Head of Governance Risk and Quality role will be responsible for managing enterprise level risk, identifying – and ensuring we meet all – legal, governance and compliance requirements, designing and maintaining our policy landscape, building a continuous improvement capability (including internal audit, risk mitigation, and quality improvement etc) and providing a range of support services to the Company Secretary and Board. The role will also be responsible for designing information management processes and systems to support effective storage and retrieval of information as well as overseeing our business continuity activities, insurance activities, travel support and a range of other business support functions.
The role will work with CARE Australia departments and Country Offices as well as representing CARE Australia in high-level meetings, working groups and discussions including with CARE International, peer organisations and peak bodies. A dynamic leadership role, this position will identify opportunities for governance and operational improvements which will support effective risk management, meet compliance obligations and help nurture a culture with a strong, embedded and dynamic approach to mitigating risk.
- Risk management – leading the identification of risk and risk mitigation activity across CA and Lead COs. This includes the ongoing development, management and implementation of an enterprise wide risk register (as well as departmental and country office risk register) and providing expert advice on appropriate prioritisation and management of identified risks across CA and Lead COs.
- Governance, Regulatory & Legal compliance – ensuring organisational compliance with all external governance, legislative and regulatory obligations, including DFAT, ACFID, ACNC, ASIC as well as other relevant state and national bodies and laws (either directly or in collaboration with other line managers)
- Governance & Company Secretary Support – providing governance expertise and advice, managing organisational governance policies and documents, supporting company secretary functions and activities and providing support to Board inductions, reviews, annual work plans and Board learning and development calendar
- Policy Portfolio Management – responsible for policy architecture, oversight of the policy library (across CI, CA, COs), develop and implement policies as well as support/train others to develop & implement policies. Work with functional teams to ensure their core processes and actions meet minimum standards and expectations as set out in policies.
- Quality Assurance & BAU improvement capability – ensuring the organisation has adequate controls in place (external and internal) to manage external obligations and internal requirements and tracks and manages remediation and improvements (identified through compliance issues, self exception reporting, internal audit, risk management, legislative and regulatory compliance reviews etc). Also supports the identification of improvement opportunities, in consultation with the Business Improvement team
- Internal Audit & Control and Monitoring Framework – design and implement Internal Audits in accordance with an Internal Audit Policy, as well as ensure routine compliance and monitoring activities are undertaken across CA (and COs where relevant)
- Insurance Portfolio – manage our total insurance portfolio, including claims management, as well as supporting CARE Australia Human Resources to understand and comply with Work Health and Safety requirements
- Business Continuity Mgmt – be responsible for developing, maintaining and testing our business continuity framework and assist in managing business continuity events, by support crisis mgmt and incident management responses
- Information Mgmt – Support CARE in building and developing standard practices and approaches to information management as part of its ongoing systems and process improvement
- Travel function and other general business and support services as needed
Ideally you will have:
- Governance and compliance expertise and/or qualifications, including an understanding of company compliance requirements including those under DFAT, ACFID, the ACNC and ASIC;
- Experience in designing and managing legislative compliance obligations
- Substantial experience in risk management, including the development and application of risk management tools, ideally in international contexts
- Professional or academic training in risk management or related field
- Experience in developing, implementing and managing quality management systems;
- Experience in designing and overseeing audit and compliance processes and demonstrated ability to develop and apply controls;
- Experience in policy development and implementation, ideally in an international context
- Ability to lead accreditation processes in the not-for-profit sector, with experience in Australian Government Aid program requirements an advantage;
- Experience in designing and implementing business continuity frameworks
- Experience in managing insurance policies and/or portfolios
- A demonstrated high level of communication and coordination skills including the ability to work collaboratively and productively with internal and external stakeholders;
- A strong focus on empowering others to understand compliance and governance requirements, including the ability to lead cross-organisational working groups;
- Excellent judgement and proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes;
- An understanding of the importance of empowering women and girls and a commitment to the protection of children and the prevention of sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse.
What we can offer you:
- A flexible and supportive working environment
- Generous salary packaging benefits
- 17.5% leave loading
- Professional development and training opportunities
CARE Australia will seek information from job applicants’ previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment, and/or child abuse the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer. By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE Australia requesting the information specified above.
CARE Australia is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage applications from people living with a disability and/or have lived experience of disability. We also encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply?
Please review the Candidate Information Pack available on our website and complete the online application form by clicking ‘Apply Now’ via the portal on our website. Please ensure you attach your CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria (max 2 pages). After submitting your application you will receive an automatic confirmation of receipt. Only applicants who fully address the criteria will be considered.
This will be conducted as a rolling recruitment process, with shortlisting and interviews being completed as applications are received. Please submit your application ASAP if you are interested in the role. More information can be found at careaustralia.connxcareers.com/Job/ViewJobs
Questions about the role?
Please contact Sue Cunningham on [email protected] using the subject line “Head of Governance, Risk and Quality enquiry”. Please do not email applications to this address.
Applications Close: 11:59 pm (AEDT), Monday 13th March 2023.