• Exciting opportunity to support our major health program – Specialist Health Service (SHS), by leading the provision of high-quality health policy and technical advice
• Canberra based, Long Term Adviser position, flexible work arrangements available
• Join a close-knit program team supporting DFAT’s regional health portfolio
About the Program
Managed by Abt Associates, the Specialist Health Service (SHS) provides strategic input on health to the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). The SHS is the primary source from which DFAT accesses health and development expertise and advisory services to improve the quality of health programming across DFAT’s global and regional health portfolio, through enabling access to responsive technical advice and support.
About the Opportunity
The International Health Specialist will work within the SHS technical team and lead on and support the provision of high-quality health policy and technical advice to DFAT. This role will also involve managing and quality assuring consultants’ technical work and supporting knowledge management and learning on health and health workforce development within DFAT.
The International Health Specialist will:
• Perform high-level research on complex global and regional health development and delivery issues in low- and middle-income countries
• Develop analytical policy analysis, research and synthesis on health and development issues in response to DFAT requests and/or in support of technical adviser assignments
• Support strengthened coherence, learning and workforce development across DFAT health policy and programming and contribute to continuous learning and improvements to the delivery of the SHS program
• Support the development and finalisation of terms of reference and tasking notes for technical tasks, including for multi-adviser teams to review, design and evaluate health sector programs
• Work with the technical team and People and Culture Manager to identify suitable advisers and teams of advisers paying attention to diversity, localisation and equity required for DFAT requests
• Facilitate, support and quality assure the work of other advisers to ensure the production of accurate, technically sound and evidence-based outputs for DFAT
• Provide input to technical approaches and strategies and support the quality assurance of SHS technical team outputs
• Build and maintain constructive, responsive relationships with client areas and advisers of diverse backgrounds
• Other reasonable duties as requested by the SHS Director
We are seeking an individual who will bring:
• 10-15 years applied experience in managing, consulting, researching, and/or advising on international health and development
• Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of the contexts, challenges, and opportunities of health systems in low- and -middle income countries
• Knowledge of and ability to assess and summarise current research/evidence in across public health technical areas (e.g., epidemiology, demography, health systems strengthening, health reform etc) and specialisms (e.g., global health financing, health security and pandemic preparedness, SRHR, NCDs etc)
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple workstreams and to produce clear, high-quality analytical written work on international health and development topics in short timeframes
• Proven experience in project management and administration in international development
• Desirable: has lived and worked in one or more Indo-Pacific country
How to Apply
Refer to the ‘Position Description’ to view further details and key requirements for this opportunity.
Please submit your application online; attach your resume/CV and a cover letter (as a single PDF document) addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
Email us at [email protected] for any queries about the position and / or the recruitment process.
We welcome and thank all applications, however due to the anticipated volume of submissions, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: Tuesday 14 March 2023 – midnight (Canberra time) #LI-AUSBRIT
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, racial equity, gender, and disability inclusion. We strongly encourage people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this position. We offer flexible work arrangements and a culturally safe environment for staff members from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.