- Lead the implementation of the PHD Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system and ongoing review of program performance, results and learning against strategic priorities.
- Support our dedicated teams working in primary healthcare, basic education and social protections in Timor-Leste to measure the impact of our investments and tell the performance story of PHD.
- Long term contract to May 2026, based in Dili, Timor-Leste, DFAT ARF level C4
About the Program
The Australia Timor-Leste Partnership for Human Development (PHD) supports the Government of Timor-Leste’s (GoTL) Strategic Development Plan 2011-2030 and reflects Australia’s commitment to work in partnership with Timor-Leste to invest in improved wellbeing for Timor-Leste’s people. PHD aims to deliver lasting impact on the program goal: ‘People in Timor-Leste are healthier, better-educated and better able to contribute to Timor-Leste’s development’. Through PHD, Australia supports the GoTL to deliver higher quality and inclusive services in primary health, basic education and social protection.
PHD is a multi-sector Facility. Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) is undertaken at Facility level via PHD’s Performance Assessment Framework (PAF) and at sector level through sector focussed Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Frameworks (MELFs).
Abt Associates Australia is the implementation partner for PHD, contracted since May 2016 until May 2026.
About the Opportunity
The Program Performance and Communications Director forms part of the PHD executive team and is responsible for the functional units of MEL and Communications. The position performs a lead role in the ongoing review of program performance, results and learning against strategic priorities and End of Program Outcomes (EOPOs) and identifies opportunities for ongoing communication of these results to support effective and innovative planning and delivery. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Leading the implementation, and iteratively updating as required, the approved Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) system, to effectively monitor, evaluate, and report on PHD’s overall program delivery performance.
- Leading PHD performance reporting in a way that balances accountability, rigor, and learning. Ensuring PHD delivers high quality and timely reports in accordance with DFAT requirements.
- Leading the implementation and ongoing oversight of the PHD Digital MEL system, ensuring the system collects and stores relevant data, supports analysis, and generates insights to inform program improvements.
- Leading and/or supporting learning dialogues, program reviews and reflections to formalise learning and assist with adaptive management and continuous improvement.
- Managing PHD research and analysis agenda, addressing knowledge gaps and deepening evidence-based understanding of pathways to achieve end of program outcomes, and to demonstrate the program performance story.
- Providing strategic oversight during periodic reviews and outcomes assessments and track implementation of recommendations from these processes.
- Providing strategic and technical guidance and mentoring to the Manager – MEL in the provision of leading the PHD MEL Unit.
- Overseeing implementation of the approved Communications Strategy and ensuring strategic and high-quality technical services deliver targeted and useful communications products and activities to advance program objectives.
- Providing oversight to content development (drawing on strategic technical advice) and ensure PHD communication outputs are high quality and meet the information needs of their audiences.
- Ensuring that PHD’s communications team receives the support and information it requires to identify and communicate successes and lessons learned, and technical support for reporting on performance and impact.
- Providing mentoring to the Manager – Communications in the provision of leading the PHD Communications Unit.
Senior Leadership and Management
- Overall accountability for the annual budget for MEL and Communications, including budget preparation, resource scoping to achieve value for money and timely budget execution.
- Leading a high-performing division including management of short-term and long-term personnel and all sub-contracts / grants.
- Working as a collaborative member of the PHD executive, with focus on strategic oversight and evidence-based advice on MEL and Communications. Quarterly analysis and visualisation of PAF and MELF data presented to support executive decision making.
- Leading the relationship with Abt global technical teams relevant to this role to identify MEL or Communications gaps and develop strategies to fill them.
- Networking and sharing information through Communities of Practice and other knowledge management mechanisms.
- Building and fostering productive and responsive relationships with DFAT, implementing partners, relevant organisations, and technical experts.
- Coordinating MEL and Communications program documents and processes, including contribution into annual reports, annual work plans and budgets, Partner Performance Assessments and other documents as required.
- Maintaining systems for senior management accountability for MEL and communications programming and results.
- Identifying and managing risk and policy compliance relevant to functional units.
- Ensuring that relevant Abt Associates policies such as gender, safeguarding, environment, social inclusion and work health and safety and any emerging policies are fully integrated into program delivery.
Undertake other duties as assigned including acting as Team Leader during absences.
We are seeking an individual for this senior level position who has the following:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as monitoring and evaluation, international development, project management, social sciences.
- Demonstrated senior program management experience in MEL and Communications applied to large scale, multi-sectoral program and/or relevant to government system strengthening and human development sectors.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and proven experience in developing and maintaining relationships within the team and with donor representatives, and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage diverse teams and coach and mentor new leaders.
- Exceptional communication and writing skills, with demonstrated results in providing high-quality reporting.
- Working knowledge and experience with DFAT standards, guidelines and policies is desirable.
- Experience in and knowledge of Timor-Leste (or other countries in the Asia Pacific region) is desirable and language skills valuable.
- Demonstrated commitment to addressing cross cutting priorities including gender equity, disability inclusion, child protection and safeguarding
Further Information & How to Apply
Please apply online through the Careers page of the Abt Associates website via the following link https://egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/JoinAbt/job/104606/?utm_medium=jobshare
Please attach a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
For further information please email the PHD People & Culture team via [email protected]. Please insert the job title in the email subject heading.
Closing date: Sunday, 7 January 2024 (AEST)