Transparency International Australia (TIA) is the Australian chapter of Transparency International (TI), a global movement composed of more than 100 national Chapters worldwide. We are united by our shared vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. The casual Project Officer will support the delivery of the Accountable Mining Programme. This global programme seeks to achieve real change by combatting corruption in the mining sector and building the capacity of TI Australia as a Centre of Expertise on anti-corruption in mining. The successful candidate will be highly motivated, able to work in a small team, and willing to take on a diverse range of responsibilities. Experience working in the not-for-profit sector would be advantageous.
As TI’s Centre of Expertise on mining, TI Australia has led the Accountable Mining Programme (AMP) for the global TI movement since 2016. Through this programme, TI national chapters across 6 continents have identified and assessed corruption risks at different stages of the mining value chain, using our bespoke business integrity tools. We work collaboratively with governments, companies, civil society organisations and communities in more than 20 countries.
The programme’s business integrity workstream is currently implementing the project Raising Company Standards and Ambition on Business Integrity in the Mining Sector. The Project’s overall objective is for mining companies of different sizes to have increased awareness of the importance of business integrity and its relevance for responsible business and ESG performance. We want mining companies of all sizes to raise their business integrity standards and improve their practices so that they engage responsibly with governments, host communities and civil society when starting new projects and expanding or investing in existing projects. To do this, we seek to work with mining companies of various sizes, and leveraging existing Accountable Mining tools and relationships with key industry platforms and associations, companies, investors and partners.
The Project Officer will be responsible for providing support to the Research and Program Manager to manage the Accountable Mining Programme. You will assist with multi-stakeholder engagement efforts to improve business integrity in the mining sector and assist in the implementation of the programme projects. You will be a highly organised and self-motivated individual who has previous experience in developing relationships. You will have strong communication and administration skills, event management experience and a good understanding of maintaining constituent relationship management databases.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to contribute to a global initiative designed to generate tangible and lasting change in the fight against corruption; while directly contributing to TI Australia’s strategic development and national leadership.
Working with the Research and Program Manager and the TI Australia staff team the Project Officer will:
- Develop goals and action plans for running corporate events to promote business integrity in the mining sector;
- Liaise and communicate with existing multi-stakeholder relationships including with government, industry and civil society;
- Maintain records using Office 365 and Salesforce as required;
- Undertake logistical, administrative and financial tasks connected to project activities;
- Assist with drafting communication and research materials, writing, publication and dissemination of factsheets, briefing papers and best practice guidance material;
- Use and maintain project databases, including recording and updating stakeholder details and engagement information.
To be successful in this role the Project Officer will have:
- Have relevant relevant tertiary or professional qualifications in Business, International Development, Corporate Social Responsibility, Law, Engineering, Science, or another relevant field.
- Have relevant work experience with a focus on developing and maintaining corporate relationships, database record keeping, and event support.
- Have good administrative, IT and time management skills, including experience using Office 365 and Microsoft Excel.
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders, including through correspondence, at events and meetings.
- Experience working in the natural resource sector an advantage (with mining sector experience a distinct advantage).
The Project Officer will demonstrate the following qualities:
- able to work collaboratively and flexibly;
- well organised and able to prioritise and meet deadlines;
- attention to detail and sense of pride and responsibility for your work;
- ability to problem-solve and work in a fast-paced environment;
- energy, drive, and focus, and the capacity to flourish when responding to competing demands;
- values others and respects difference; and
- committed to transparency and anti-corruption and motivated by the challenge and opportunity of making a positive difference by combatting corruption both in Australia and around the world.
For more information on the work of Transparency International Australia and the Accountable Mining Programme, please visit: