We are seeking a committed individual to join our Board of Directors as Chair.
Oaktree is one of Australia’s largest youth-run organisations. We are governed and guided by our Board of Directors, who bring a breadth of experience and skills from diverse professional backgrounds. The Board’s work, from setting organisational strategy through to ensuring its effective implementation, directly shapes Oaktree’s capacity for impact and future growth.
As the Chair of the Board, you’ll play a key role in the governance of the organisation, serving as a custodian of Oaktree’s mission and values, and ensuring compliance and effective risk management. You’ll lead an exceptional team of current Board members, and have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in their fields.
Oaktree’s recent strategic and operational review has led to a new impact strategy and a pivot back to a largely volunteer operating model. You will use your experience to help your Board colleagues continue to work through and prioritise areas of change that are required to strengthen our financial sustainability and impact. This includes supporting the CEO to harness the skills of our talented volunteer team to navigate the challenges and opportunities that will arise from this change agenda.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO:
● Has a passion for promoting young people, justice and human rights.
● Experience in international development and/or working with youth/ youth run non-profit organisations desirable.
● Values long term solutions to end global poverty, and is committed to facilitating youth-organised change.
● Prioritises diversity and inclusivity within organisations.
● Strives to always work with humility and integrity.
● Leads collaboratively, to facilitate effective and informed collective decision-making.
● Has previous Board/Chair experience, including mentoring Executives.
AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
● Ensuring organisational compliance with statutory governance obligations;
● Organisational adherence to Oaktree’s Constitution, and alignment of strategy with its vision, mission and values;
● Holding the CEO and Executive team accountable for delivery of our strategy;
● Supporting Oaktree’s programs and initiatives through personal participation, fundraising contributions and / or ambassadorship.
● Consistent Board meeting attendance and timely offline engagement.
AS CHAIR, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
● Facilitating the effective functioning of the board including managing the conduct, frequency and length of board meetings.
● In consultation with the Board and CEO, setting the agenda of matters to be considered by the Board.
● Clearly defining and communicating roles and responsibilities between the Board and the Executive.
● Seeking to ensure that the Board as a whole has the opportunity to maintain adequate understanding of the organisation’s financial position, strategic performance, operations and affairs generally and the opportunities and challenges facing the organisation.
● Fostering an inclusive culture for Board decision-making by encouraging open and constructive communications amongst members on all Board matters.
● Overseeing and facilitating Board Sub-Committee and Board evaluation, succession planning and recruitment.
● Maintaining a close, productive and supportive relationship with the CEO as the primary contact between the Board and management.
● Supporting Board recruitment and new member inductions as well as CEO appointment, performance management and succession.
As a youth-run organisation, one-third of our Board must be under the age of 30, and we encourage individuals under 30 to apply. We also strongly encourage women, people of colour and ability diverse candidates to apply.
● Minimum 3-year term.
● Approximately 4-8 hours per week.
● The Board meets six times a year, in Melbourne or virtually.
If this sounds like you, then head on over to apply on our website. This is an ongoing recruitment, where applications will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis until the position is filled.
APPLY AT: https://form.typeform.com/to/oqSMTkFp
For any questions, queries, or concerns, please contact [email protected]