CARE is an international humanitarian aid organisation fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organisation, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency assistance. CARE International has been working in Vanuatu since 2008 supporting communities to strengthen their ability to prepare for and respond to disasters and to empower women and girls. CARE programs in three main areas in Vanuatu: Resilience, Inclusive Governance and Gender Equality.
CARE is currently implementing the Australian government funded Pacific Partnerships for Gender Equality program which aims to strengthen women’s economic justice for women, young women and girls with and without disabilities in Tonga and contribute to a resilient civil society. This is a five year program (2022-2027) that currently works across three countries; Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands and Tonga.
Scope of Work
CARE is working with implementing partner, the Talitha project, to increase economic resilience for adolescent girls, (including those with a disability) through access to village savings and loans associations (VSLAs) and income generating activities. Talitha is seeking support for a review and adaptation of CARE Vanuatu’s VSLA methodology to the Tongan context and a training of trainer (ToT) for Talitha staff. The consultant/s will work together with Talitha staff to review and adapt the Vanuatu VSLA manual (Field Officer Training Guide) and guidance (Vanuatu Saving Group Pilot Guidance Notes) and to deliver a training of trainers (ToT) for Talitha staff in partnership with a Tongan counterpart.
The scope of work included in this consultancy is as follows:
1. Review existing literature including:
- Desk review of adolescent girls and Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLA) and scoping of income generating activities in Tonga (to be completed under the ANCP project in 2022);
- Existing Vanuatu VSLA manual (Field Officer Training Guide) and guidance (Vanuatu Saving Group Pilot Guidance Notes);
- Relevant ANCP project documentation (eg design document, MEAL framework);
- Any other relevant reports or guidance (with a focus on savings and loans and adolescent girls and the Pacific/Tongan context).
2. Drawing on the review, adapt existing VSLA materials to develop a draft manual (Field Officer Training Guide) and draft guidance (Tonga Savings Group Pilot Guidance Notes) to support a one year pilot and scale up for Talitha project participants in Nuku’alofa and Hapai in the first year and other provinces in the following years of the program.
3. Prepare and deliver a five-day participatory training on the VSLA model with space to talk through proposed adaptations for the Tonga context (building in sense of ownership from Talitha staff) and common challenges and lessons from other Pacific contexts. The VSLA TOT should include:
- Background and Theory
- Vanuatu’s VSL experience
- Rationale for Savings Groups (SGs)
- What are SGs?
- The VSL SG methodology
- Toolkit and procedures
- Principles and Key elements
- VSLA guide and structure
- Passbooks and notebooks
- Finalise manual (Field Officer Training Guide) and draft guidance (Tonga Saving Group Pilot Guidance Notes) based on discussions and reflections at TOT.
5. Provide support to Talitha to set up necessary systems and processes for pilot kick-off following ToT as well as ongoing monitoring. Proposed Tasks and Schedule (initial estimate but tbd w/successful candidate/s)
- Post graduate qualifications in international development, gender or equivalent
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in gender equality programming and VLSA methodologies
- Proven experience in developing VSLA models and accompanying manuals/training materials
- Proven experience in developing and delivering training on VSLA in the Pacific context
- Experience Tonga and Tongan language skills an advantage
- Flexible and responsive work ethic
- Excellent written communication skills
Fees and payment
The consultant is expected to provide their daily fee rate as part of their expression of interest.
Expressions of interest
Expressions of Interest should include:
- A maximum 1-page cover letter including a statement of capability introducing the consultant/s and how the skills and competencies described above are met, using concrete examples and a budget.
- Current CV of the consultant/s
- Daily fee rate
Expressions of interest and requests for further information should be submitted to Palwesha Yusaf, Pacific Project Coordinator: [email protected] by December 14th, 2022.