Project: Roads for Development Phase 2 (R4D2)
Duration: Long Term until June 30, 2024
ARF Level: C3
Location: R4D2 Head Office, Port Vila, Vanuatu
Reports to: Senior Engineering Adviser
The Vanuatu Roads for Development Program Phase 2 (R4D2) is a 5-year (2019-2024) transport infrastructure support program funded by the Government of Australia (GoA) through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to support the Public Works Department (PWD) under the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Utilities (MIPU). R4D2 is focused on improving and maintaining national road access for rural and urban populations. Adam Smith International (ASI) is the managing contractor for this program.
The responsibilities of the Contracts and Procurement Adviser will include, but not be limited to, the following key tasks:
PWD Capacity Support
• Develop PWD’s Procurement Plan process and template for submission to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Management (MFEM).
• Ensure timely preparation/updating and submissions of the PWD Procurement Plan for review and approval by the MFEM.
• Review and provide technical inputs to tender documentation, invitation to tender and tender notices.
• Ensure procurements processed by PWD apply relevant donor and GoV requirements for safeguarding principles including Health and Safety, Environmental Management, Child Protection, Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion.
• Provide advice during the bidding and selection process, including assisting in pre-bid meetings, providing clarifications, and participating in the opening of bids.
• Provide advice and training in tender evaluations, with a particular focus on value for money principles.
• Review and provide technical inputs on PWD submissions to the Central Tenders Board.
• Review and provide technical inputs on program submissions to DFAT.
• Provide guidance and advice in contract negotiations for goods, works and consultancies.
• Review and provide technical input for the preparation of tender documents, invitations to tender, tender notices and any other documents based on relevant procedures and regulations.
PWD Procurement Quality Assurance and Oversight
• Ensure compliance with R4D2 Program and PWD Codes of Conduct and fraud detection and management procedures.
• Report suspected potential or identified fraud and corruption or governance issues.
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Engineering Adviser and/or the Team Leader.
• Main Counterparts – PWD Procurement Manager
• Secondary Counterparts – PWD Operations Manager and Procurement Officers
• Reports to, works with, and receives strategic direction and periodic performance feedback from the Senior Engineering Adviser; and
• Reports to the Australian High Commission Team when necessary and in coordination with the Team Leader.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• Relevant qualifications in procurement or other related field, ideally with a focus on engineering, transport infrastructure or roads;
• Demonstrated experience in conducting public and private sector procurement activities;
• Demonstrated experience supporting procurement on infrastructure roads programs, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
• Demonstrated experience working within public sector agencies, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
• Demonstrated experience in developing procurement capacity of government agencies and staff, ideally in the Pacific or similar settings;
• Demonstrated commitment and capacity to undertake activities in a participative, culturally sensitive, and consultative manner that enables counterparts to actively participate and develop an understanding and ownership;
• Understanding of and commitment to DFAT safeguard issues, specifically child protection, gender mainstreaming and disability inclusion; and
• Excellent stakeholder engagement, communication, and relationship management skills.
Please submit your application with the subject ‘Contracts and Procurement Advisor R4D2’ to [email protected]
Applications should include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria and an up-to-date CV.
Adam Smith International is an equal opportunity employer – women and candidates from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as well as Ni-van, are encouraged to apply.