- Hagar’s Vision: Communities free & healed from the trauma of human trafficking, slavery & abuse
- Based in the Abbotsford Convent, Melbourne
- Part time (4 days a week with potential flexibility)
Do you wish to lead an Australian-registered NGO which works as part of a federated global network to transform the lives of women and children who have been trafficked, enslaved or abused?
About Hagar Australia
Established 28 years ago, Hagar has forged an international reputation for its comprehensive model of trauma-informed care. Program delivery is coordinated by Hagar International through program offices located in Afghanistan, Vietnam, Singapore, the Solomon Islands and Myanmar. The Hagar network has total staffing of around 200 and an aggregate budget of over US$5m.
Hagar Australia operates as a key Support Office of the Hagar network and it raises funds within Australia from foundations, corporations, community groups, high-net-worth and retail donors, and through government programs in support of Hagar’s international programs. Hagar Australia has staffing of 5 and budgeted revenue for 2022 of $1.2 million.
Hagar is a Christian faith-based NGO which receives and serves its clients without discrimination on the basis of religious beliefs, gender, culture, social position or nationality.
About The Role
You will lead Hagar Australia’s staff of 5 and its volunteer network, representing Hagar Australia within the wider Hagar network as a member of the Group Executive of Hagar International.
You will be accountable to and report to the Hagar Australia Board; and functionally report to the Hagar International CEO under a “matrix management” reporting relationship. This is designed to ensure effective coordination and accountability globally and an active commitment to the concept of “twin citizenship”.
Your priorities will include:
- Providing strategic leadership and vision to grow the impact of Hagar Australia
- Identifying new and growing existing sources of funding; and maintaining and growing the Australian donor base for targeted fundraising to resource the global Hagar work delivered in partnership with Hagar International
- Managing Hagar Australia’s finances, funding flows, statutory and compliance reporting and other essential business disciplines
- Leading, inspiring and caring for Hagar Australia’s small support staff and its volunteer network in their work towards achieving the organisation’s strategic objectives
- Responsibility for the secretarial requirements of the Hagar Australia Board and assisting it to efficiently and professionally fulfil its governance and oversight roles for Hagar Australia Limited.
- Be a principled, values-driven leader who is collaborative, inspiring and visionary
- Demonstrate a record of successful fundraising including securing and growing funding support from community groups, corporations, high-net-worth individuals, other NGOs, multi-laterals and governments
- Have superior leadership and organisational management skills and the ability to operate successfully within a matrixed management structure
- Be an excellent communicator and confident public speaker, able to effectively represent Hagar Australia to donors, opinion-leaders, government officials and the community
- Be willing to uphold Hagar’s Christian ethos and values
- Possess excellent inter-personal skills and the ability to relate well to peers across the global Hagar network, and with senior business leaders and key trust and foundation managers, leading Hagar in its maintenance of key relationships and development of new ones
- Be dynamic and passionate
While previous experience in the not-for-profit sector is not essential, it will be considered a significant benefit for this role.
Hagar Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Hagar Australia is committed to integrity, the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment, safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults, and gender equality, diversity and inclusion.
Before commencement in the role, you will be required to complete a Working with Children and Police Check.
Hagar Australia’s current office is co-located with Hagar International in the Abbotsford Convent, at Abbotsford, a suburb of Melbourne.
You will participate regularly in global Hagar meetings – typically via videoconference – but also involving some overseas travel for annual management workshops and other face-to-face engagements.
Australian fundraising activities will require you to travel interstate to build and maintain Hagar Australia’s donor base around the country.
A competitive compensation package, consistent with NGO-sector expectations, will be negotiated with you. This includes salary packaging benefits which in effect means part of your salary is paid tax free, giving you more take home pay.
Applications or Enquiries
To apply please forward your cover letter, your CV and a response outlining how you meet at least the required capabilities (see above) to Connie Ridley, Chair of Hagar Australia, at [email protected] by Friday 25 November 2022. Connie Ridley will also respond to any enquiries you may have.