Global Health Communications Officer
• Work at the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Global Health Division (GHD) and contribute to national, regional, and global health security
• Long Term Adviser position, Canberra based, AUD$10,500 – $11,250 per month inclusive of superannuation, depending on experience level
• Full-time or part-time, 12-month fixed term contract with the possibility of extension
• Apply your expertise in Global Health Division strategy development and managing communication platforms and products
About the Program
Managed by Abt Associates, the Specialist Health Service (SHS) provides strategic input on health to the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). The SHS is the primary source from which DFAT accesses health and development expertise and advisory services to improve the quality of health programming across DFAT’s global and regional health portfolio, through enabling access to responsive technical advice and support.
About the Opportunity
The Global Health Communications Officer will support overall communications needs of the Global Health Division, including strategy development and managing communication platforms and products.
The Global Health Communications Officer will:
• Lead the development and implementation of a communications strategy for the Global Health Division
• Develop communications material, including newsletters, tweets, RSS feeds, social media posts, podcasts and other material
• Monitor social and other media to identify relevant material for circulation and publishing
• Provide public affairs and communication support for the Ambassador for Regional Security, including managing the Ambassador’s Twitter account
• Identify opportunities for public diplomacy and organise public events for the Global Health Division as required
• Update the website for the Indo-Pacific Centre for Health Security
• Support management of the Contain This podcast production contract
• Other duties as directed.
We are seeking an individual who will bring:
• Demonstrated experience implementing and managing communication products and platforms
• A university qualification in communications or a related field and a minimum of two years of experience working in communications
• Excellent writing and interpersonal skills, including ability to write for web, social media, speeches and translating technical content
• Website management skills, including basic administration and graphic design
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, specifically InDesign and Premier Pro, Photoshop and Adobe Audition
• Strong organisational skills, the ability to deliver to time constraints and work effectively in a small, flexible team, and adapt to changing needs within the broader organisational context
• Fluency in English and demonstrated ability to express orally and in writing complex ideas in clear and simple language
• Experience in a health for development setting and/or experienced translating technical content into plain English
• Knowledge and experience in both development policy and public service (desirable)
• Security clearance at or above NV1 is high desirable. This is negotiable for the right applicant provided they are prepared to undergo a baseline security clearance potential work towards and NV1 clearance
Applicants must be an Australian citizen as the position will require a security clearance.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single requirement for a position. At Abt Associates we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every role requirement, we encourage you to apply in any case. You may be just the right candidate for this or for other roles.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online; attach your cover letter and CV as a single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
Email us at [email protected] for any queries about the position and / or the recruitment process.
We welcome and thank all applications, however due to the anticipated volume of submissions, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 29 January 2023
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, racial equity, gender, and disability inclusion. We strongly encourage people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this position. We offer flexible work arrangements and a culturally safe environment for staff members from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.