• Do you want to do work that really matters? Help us end avoidable blindness
• Full time, Permanent Role based in Sydney/ NSW/VIC/NT/QLD (flexible work arrangements available)
• Closing Date: 14th April 2023
ABOUT THE FRED HOLLOWS FOUNDATION
The Foundation is an international development organisation working to prevent blindness and restore sight. We continue to carry on the legacy of Professor Fred Hollows, who believed every person had the right to quality eye care, no matter where they live. The Foundation has grown to work in more than 25 countries throughout Africa, South Asia, Southeast Asia, the Middle East and the Pacific, as well as Australia. The Foundation has restored sight to more than 3 million people worldwide. We have an ambitious five-year strategic plan that aims to take us even closer to realising our vision of a world in which no person is needlessly blind or vision impaired and Indigenous Australians exercise their right to sight and good health.
The Foundation is also proud to announce that we were awarded the Employer of Choice Award (Public Sector and NFP) at the 2022 Australian HR Awards.
To be successful in this role you will be an accountable and enthusiastic self-starter with strong communication skills. You will have the ability to work independently in an agile and diverse environment. Your passion for legal services and for being part of a dynamic and effective organization will be evident in your work.
You will have the resilience, pace, and interpersonal flexibility to succeed within the evolving demands of a development organization operating across 25+ countries. With these qualities, you will thrive in this role and contribute to the success of the team and organization.
The Legal Counsel is accountable for supporting the General Counsel in the legal aspects of The Foundation’s work, in a way that is aligned to The Foundation’s Values and Strategy.
The Legal Counsel will own the outcomes of:
• Supporting (and learning from) the General Counsel across a range of legal matters in 25+ countries.
• Support and advise on the legal aspects of undertaking new corporate initiatives including merger, acquisition and divestment activity, funds and joint ventures.
• Best practice legal support for our related entities including social enterprise Alina Vision.
• Legal aspects of change activity including entering into new jurisdictions and where relevant exit.
• Provide effective and timely legal advice to the business as requested, including reviewing and advising on contracts, intellectual property, corporate and government law matters, being cognisant of the not for profit international development sector and The Foundation’s context and reputation
• Provide global employment law support including instructing local external counsel where required.
• Collaborate with stakeholders on legal aspects of projects including engagement with external legal, accounting, regulatory and industry bodies where appropriate.
• Collaborate within the Legal Governance Risk & Compliance team to enhance delivery of services to stakeholders.
• Other tasks as requested by your manager.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO SUCCEED
• Experience with cross-border commercial initiatives
• Experience with employment law
• PQE 3-5+ in Australia or other common law jurisdiction
Something EXTRA to get our attention (Not Essential!)
• Experience in a number of the following legal fields: contracts; cross border transactions; M&A; joint ventures; corporate governance; employment and change projects
• Experience in one or more of the following key jurisdictions outside Australia: HK; Singapore; UK; US
• Experience in international governance.
• Experience at a top-tier firm.
• Experience with autonomous provision of legal services in an in-house environment.
How we recognise your contribution
Through our internal programs and employee benefits we aim to create an environment where you will feel supported and empowered. Whether your focus is on continuous learning, professional development or finding an environment which enables you to thrive while balancing family or personal commitments, we have a range of programs in place to support you. Including:
• Generous salary packaging – we provide access to not-for-profit salary packaging options, which will increase your take home pay, we also offer 17.5% annual leave loading
• Flexible work environment – we focus on output, not hours and enable you to prioritise your health and wellbeing
• Generous leave allowances – we offer Paid parental leave; 5 days bonus leave every year; an annual Foundation-wide “Me Day”; and time off for culturally significant/ceremonial leave
• Ongoing commitment to your continuous learning and career development – through tailored leadership and professional development programs, access to Linkedin Learning and focused development conversations.
To find out more about our benefits click here
Please apply directly via this link . Should you have any questions regarding the opportunity please reach out to our Talent Acquisition Specialist, at [email protected] for a confidential conversation. Kindly note that CVs will not be considered through this email address.
Applications Close: 14th April 2023
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply for this position.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children and community partners in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child safe environment. The Foundation is also committed to protecting the health of our beneficiaries, donors and partners and require incumbents of this role to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (except where medical conditions may make vaccination harmful to their health).
Please note: We will not be accepting CV’s via agencies for this role.