Please note: To apply for this role, you must be willing to work in Kenya, with some travel likely.
The Global EverGreening Alliance (The Alliance/GEA) is an international NGO which coordinates the development and implementation of large-scale land restoration programs.
Its members include World Vision, CARE International, Oxfam, Catholic Relief Services, Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy, the World Resources Institute and World Agroforestry.
The Alliance was established to create and apply long-term solutions to the global problems of land degradation and climate change. This is done through a collaborative approach with an emphasis on evergreening practices: regenerative farming that integrates trees into crop and livestock production systems of smallholder farms. In May 2022, the Alliance launched Restore Africa, the largest community-based land restoration program in Africa.
More than 1.8 million hectares of degraded land will be restored through sustainable land management practices in six countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia, improving the livelihoods of more than 1.5 million households and sequestering 80M tons of CO2 in the process. The Restore Africa Program will be implemented by consortia of member organisations across the African region and will be coordinated by the Alliance’s Program Coordination Unit located in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Alliance is seeking an experienced, passionate, and motivated individual to establish and run the Media and Communications function of its newly established Program Coordination Unit (PCU). This role will enhance the PCU’s organisational capacity and work closely with the Alliance’s Melbourne-based Media and Communications team and implementing partner organisations to strategically plan, develop, and package compelling, evidence-based M&C content.
The Media and Communications Officer will be: responsible for the development and implementation of an effective communication strategy for the Restore Africa PCU and implementing partners; developing and managing the collection of social media assets to be provided for the Alliance’s social media platforms; producing, collating, and editing content (photos, videos, impact stories) for critical publications, communications, and other media use, ensuring informed consents are obtained and archived; and, ensuring Restore Africa branding follows the established branding guidelines.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Developing and implementing an effective communications strategy for the PCU, including Media and communications training and workshops for partners, taking into account the in-country strategies already developed and under the guidance of the Alliance’s Media and Communications Team.
- Supporting implementing partners to implement effective country-specific communication strategies and plans appropriate to their context in alignment with the jointly developed Media and Communications Strategy for the Restore Africa Program
- Providing high-level media advice to implementing partners in consultation with the Alliance’s Media and Communications Team on effective coordination and collaboration for the delivery of compelling, evidence-based content.
- Supporting the Alliance’s Media and Communications Team with the development of compelling stories and content for all media channels
- Working with implementing partners to collate media resources for communication, marketing and advocacy while ensuring compliance with the branding guidelines and safeguarding policy regarding communications contents.
- Producing PCU newsletters periodically, featuring the Restore Africa Program for an internal and external audience.
- Working with the Alliance’s Media and Communication’s Team and coordinating the collection of social media content and assets for the Alliance’s social media platforms
- Organising public engagement activities and other events to grow and develop the Alliance’s visibility externally and internally in the region, liaising with internal and external stakeholders and media outlets accordingly.
- Developing and implementing an integrated regional capacity-building plan that leverages existing capacities, strengths, and synergies in and among implementing partners, such as storytelling, photography, and video.
- Facilitating the process of continuous learning on appropriate Media and Communication systems, tools and best practices relevant to the context of the Restore Africa Programme and encouraging mutual learning among implementing partners.
- Developing and maintaining a repository for media resources and facilitating access to the resources and appropriate materials.
- Facilitating access for implementing partners to communications resources and learning opportunities. These may include active involvement in training, engagement of trainers, establishing institutional linkages, and identifying opportunities for staff exchange or mentoring across the Restore Africa Program.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or Marketing; Master’s degree an added advantage.
- At least five years of professional experience in communications management, media, or public relations.
- At least 1-2 years of work experience in the East Africa Region.
- Skills in photography and graphic and website design with knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop/Adobe), an added advantage.
- Awareness of global and regional socio-economic, political, and environmental issues.
- Demonstrated experience working closely within multidisciplinary and multicultural teams at national, regional, and international levels in Africa.
- Experience in high-level networking and strengthening relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong independent thinking skills with the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Strong organisational skills, including strategic and operational planning, with the ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT
The Global EverGreening Alliance has zero tolerance for child abuse, discrimination, harassment and workplace bullying. All staff are required to sign an acknowledgement and adhere strictly to the organisation’s child protection, safeguarding and other policies. In addition, the successful applicant will need to provide a recent Police Record Check and either provide or successfully apply for a Working with Children Check card where relevant to the context.
To apply for this role, you must have the willingness to work in Kenya, with some travel across the Eastern and Southern Africa region.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide both your CV and a Cover Letter (in one file) clearly addressing the Selection Criteria, via the Apply Now link.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed as they come in, so please submit your application as soon as possible.