Program Director, Australian Volunteers Program
• Full-time permanent position, Melbourne based
• Remunerated in accordance with DFAT’s Aid Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF), Discipline and Job Level C4
AVI is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to lead the Australian Volunteers Program as Program Director. The Australian Volunteers Program is funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and delivered in consortia with DT Global and Alinea International.
The program is an important part of DFAT’s people to people portfolio. Its overarching goal is to support locally led change and the realisation of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The program supports the objective of Australia having strong mutual relationships with people and communities across the Pacific, Asia and Africa that contribute to achieving equitable development outcomes.
The Program Director is responsible for all aspects of program implementation, providing high-level strategic leadership and management to ensure that the program is well positioned to achieve its end of program outcomes.
We are seeking an experienced program leader with:
Experience, Skills & Attributes
• Extensive experience in senior management roles, including leading diverse teams, managing complex budgets, and providing strategic advice.
• Proven ability to implement successful donor-funded international development programs in the Indo-Pacific region.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to identify complex issues and risks, anticipate barriers, and create innovative and practical solutions.
• Strong stakeholder management skills with proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Thorough understanding of contemporary issues, theories, and approaches in international development, such as locally led development; and ideally an understanding of volunteering and partnership modalities.
• Experience effectively incorporating cross‐cutting development issues, such as GEDSI.
• Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline.
In return, you will:
• Join a long-standing not-for-profit organisation with a rich history and lead a program team of passionate individuals, based in 23 countries.
• Have the best of both worlds with our inner-city office in the heart of Fitzroy, Melbourne, and hybrid work arrangements. .
• Be offered a remuneration package in accordance with DFAT’s Aid Adviser Remuneration Framework (ARF).
• Access to salary sacrifice and purchased leave arrangements.
• For a full outline of the position and applicant requirements please see the Position Description on the AVI website [job link from the AVI website] and submit a cover letter addressing the selection criteria (no longer than two pages) and a current resume
• Application Closing date: AEST midnight 12 August 2023
AVI is committed to child protection and safeguarding the welfare of children in the delivery of all our international development programs. We are committed to the Prevention of Sexual Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH), and fraud prevention. AVI is proudly an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage women, men, people with diverse backgrounds and people living with disabilities to apply. Australian Volunteers Program is funded by the Australian Government and managed in consortia by AVI, DT Global and Alinea International.