• Long Term Adviser position, AU$13,883 – AU$14,883 per month inclusive of superannuation, depending on experience level
• Full-time, 2-year fixed term contract with the possibility of up to 2-year extension
• Apply your expertise to provide strategic support to advance Australia’s interests in health at the global level and in the Indo-Pacific
About the Program
Managed by Abt Associates, the Specialist Health Service (SHS) provides strategic input on health to the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). The SHS is the primary source from which DFAT accesses health and development expertise and advisory services to improve the quality of health programming across DFAT’s global and regional health portfolio, through enabling access to responsive technical advice and support.
About the Opportunity
The Senior Adviser Global Vaccine Alliance (GAVI), will provide strategic support to advance Australia’s interests in health at the global level and in the Indo-Pacific region.
Objectives of the position are:
• Provide strategic advice on the work of Gavi, to support DFAT’s engagement in the Gavi Board and its committees aligned with Australia’s interests. This includes supporting Australia’s role as Gavi Board Vice Chair.
• Engage with Gavi and DFAT’s Posts to optimise the outcomes and effectiveness of Gavi support to Indo-Pacific countries, and their alignment with relevant DFAT support.
• Support implementation of DFAT health programs, such as the Partnerships for a Healthy Region initiative.
The Senior Adviser GAVI will:
• Undertake complex analysis of issues related to Gavi and immunisation and Partnerships for a Healthy Region initiative.
• Provide strategic and technical input to DFAT posts on opportunities to leverage Gavi work and maximise Gavi performance and outcomes.
• Prepare high quality advice and written material to advise government on Gavi and immunisation issues related to Australia’s interests.
• Represent the Health Fund Section in meetings with internal and external partners, including like-minded partners on Gavi activities globally and in the Indo-Pacific region.
We are seeking an individual who will bring:
• Substantial (10+ years experience) working with multilateral health partners and an up-to-date understanding of global developments in health
• A track record of work on Gavi and international vaccine programs
• Developing country and health program experience in the Indo-Pacific region
• Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to foster productive relationships and engage strategically with key stakeholders on Gavi issues to advance Australia’s interests
• Highly developed strategy, analytical and writing skills
• Significant experience in taking forward complex and sensitive technical and strategy issues through excellent consultation, planning and resource management
• Highly developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in a team context
• Previous experience working with DFAT.
• First-hand experience in developing countries/the Indo-Pacific.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single requirement for a position. At Abt Associates we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every role requirement, we encourage you to apply in any case. You may be just the right candidate for this or for other roles.
How to Apply
Please submit your application online ; attach your cover letter and CV as a single document, addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.
Email us at [email protected] for any queries about the position and/or the recruitment process.
We welcome and thank all applications, however, due to the anticipated volume of submissions, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: Wednesday, 12 April 2023 – midnight (Canberra time)
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader with a proven track record in complex program implementation in the international development sector. We offer bold solutions and technical excellence in Health, Economic Growth, Governance, Research & Evaluation, Environment & Energy, Gender Equality & Social Inclusion. Working with our many partners, we have driven measurable social impact for more than 55 years, to achieve our mission of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. We operate in remote and challenging environments and employ more than 3,700 staff in over 50 countries. For more information about us and what we do, visit our website at www.abtassociates.com
Abt Associates values individuality and celebrates difference with a strong commitment to diversity, equality, racial equity, gender, and disability inclusion. We strongly encourage people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply for this position. We offer flexible work arrangements and a culturally safe environment for staff members from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
We are deeply committed to safeguarding, to protect and prevent harm and abuse to individuals we work for and who work for us. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation. We will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, child abuse, sexual abuse or exploitation in any form, and expect everyone to be treated with respect and dignity.